Sunday, March 18, 2012

Procrastination has been a nasty flaw in my life. I have found that if I think I don't have the time to do something well, or if I think something will not likely be successful, or if I am pretty sure that something will be clearly and awfully unpleasant,then I often procrastinate.

This morning I was reading in John 18, and I noticed something in a different way than I have before. When Jesus was in the garden of Gethsemane that last night the conniving mob came to arrest Him. He saw them first and stepped out of the protection of night. John recorded this for us: 'Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to him, came forward and said to them, "Whom do you seek?"' After He was seized Peter angrily swung his sword, trying in impulsive protection mode, to defend Jesus. Jesus spoke to Peter, '"Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me?"'

Jesus knew what He needed to be done, and He courageously and decisively did it. No delay. No excuses. That caused me to marvel. There was not the semblance of procrastination, just prompt, responsible, and stout resolve to begin working on the task at hand. What an awesome example Jesus always has set for me!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Cornelius acted promptly also. Good reminder.