Thursday, February 21, 2008

Recent Diagnosis

I told someone that I would put an update here if I ever got a diagnosis of my months long problem. She had some great ideas for how I might share, and she can laugh and laugh remembering=) I decided, however, to play it safe for my own dignity (what's that, right?) and for your own potentially tender sensibilities. Finally, after many months and several labs, I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. It is the third auto-immune disorder to show up in my life. Apparently, that is common. In fact, having Type I Diabetes, also an auto-immune disorder, significantly increases the chance of having CD .

John has a co-worker with Celiac, so she has provided reading material and food items because living gluten free forever is essential. What a treasure that is!! I spent a long time tonight reading through the pamphlets and book she sent. It all sure fascinates me. There are so many pieces of this recent puzzle that I have been able to put in place. The ramifications of not strictly working the diet are pretty serious.

We are slowly getting well. Really, I don't have much to complain about when I consider a week ago, but I am tiring of the ongoing symptoms. Oh well, it shall pass, Lord willing.

5 comments:

Allison said...

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I found your blog through our common interest in cleft lip and palate. My Daughter, Abigael, was born March 12, 2007 with an incomplete unilateral cleft lip, gumline (alveolar ridge), and possible sub-mucous cleft palate. Feel free to check out Abby's story at molseefam.blogspot.com You'll also find links to other cleft affected kids there.

Thanks! Allison

Mom said...

I am beginning to think we have a strange family. We have been introduced to enough uncommon medical problems that we are very near to having the medical library memorized! We don't dare all get together for one meal/menu! Gone are the homemade noodles, the French silk pie, the pumpkin bread, Grandma's/John's dressing, frosted molasses cookies, need I go on? Everyone needs to bring their own specially made diet essentials. Perhaps family time will revolve around prayer and fasting!

starlapage said...

hmm... that's what nancy churchill has; i'm sure she'll be a great resource for you! sorry about the changes that will have to be made and kept, but sooo glad you have answers- what a blessing! you can do it girl. :)

starlapage said...

wow. that's what nancy churchill has. she's very knowledgable. so glad you know what you're dealing with; what a blessing it is to know! hang in there as you re-arrange life; i know you can do it!! love ya!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm the nerve. You just couldn't wait could you........ ahahahahahaa