Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday

What a day. No exclamation point. Just plain old "what a day." I got up this morning and got right to the task of being ready to get out the door for Bible study and morning worship. Before leaving the church building we had a picture taken of the Dineen's who were present. Then we went to the store, got lunch for Michael and Elizabeth, and headed to their house. After dropping off things for them, we went home where I made pies to take to James' going away party, and John finished making our lunch. We ate, I put the leftover food away, and left with some of the boys to watch Michael play basketball in his YMCA league. (His team won.) While there, a friend stopped in to let me know she needed some help with the party for James. As a result, we went, after the game, to run some errands, then quickly home for me to change before evening Bible study because I had Dr. Pepper spill on my dress in the car. We had an encouraging prayer service then went to a member's house for James' going away party. That was a nice time of mingling and singing. Some of us went home after that, some to JW's for x-box night. JW came to our house so I could help him with a paper he's writing for psychology. We got about half way through that before needing to leave (in the snowstorm) to pick up the three boys who were at JW's. I got home with them, tucked Jason and James in, then sat down here to blog at nearly 1 AM. Do you see why I said, "what a day?"

Joshua's MRI results were normal! Praise God! He is doing very well now even without the medication. I am so glad and so grateful!

Jason is still doing better, but was wheezing again last night. He went to the eye doctor Tuesday. His vision was within normal for his gender and age. A relief to me. However, he has an autoimmune disorder (that Joshua also has) called vernal conjunctivitis. We started antihistamine drops Thursday. Hopefully they will control the symptoms and minimize complications. Unfortunately, the drops cost $99 for 25 days. Honestly, I'm fighting discouragement. I have seen the human limitations of the last few months as opportunities to see God's provision and to marvel at His goodness. This should be no different, and I'm frustrated to find myself discouraged. God has left NO REASON for discouragement ever, has He?

Brennan fell and broke his leg Friday night. Sadly, the break is an unusual one - and a serious one. The distal tibia sustained a buckle fracture near (into?) the growth plate. The orthopedic surgeon on call at the hospital was not recommended, so the decision was made to cast the leg and see a better surgeon this week. It seems the course of treatment will be either surgery followed by hard cast or just hard cast. Please pray that they can quickly get an appointment with a talented orthopedic doctor. Brennan has a vaccination appointment with his regular doctor tomorrow which they plan to keep (weather permitting). Hopefully, she can help them get prompt attention from a desired orthopedic surgeon.

James is planning to leave in the morning (Monday). The weather is snowy. The unprepared south has had much snow. I just am cringing and fretting over this. Again, my trust level is substandard. My facebook status is, "Because He lives I can face tomorrow..." I meant that. I meant that. I meant that. I can face this. I will be brave. I will trust God. I will. I will.

I don't even want to go to bed tonight. I know that once I fall asleep, James' departure will be upon me with that last fluttering of an eyelid. My baby boy. I still remember the nurse coming into my postpartum room and finding me asleep with James in my bed. She sweetly, but firmly, reminded me that if I wanted to sleep, the baby had to be in the bassinet. There was no choice for me. I stayed awake all night watching, loving, embracing, thanking God for my new boy. We watched the sun rise together in Papillion, NE that next morning. I hope to never forget that sunrise. I can remember so clearly the horizon as the sun slowly ascended in the sky. That was a night's sleep missed with no regret. Now the boy is off to the west to see the sun set by himself. May God watch over him as He did during his complicated birth.

Because He Lives

1. God sent His Son - they called Him Jesus,
He came to love, heal and forgive;
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.

2. How sweet to hold a newborn baby
And feel the pride and joy he gives;
But greater still the calm assurance:
This child can face uncertain days because Christ lives.

3. And then one day I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain;
And then, as death gives way to victory,
I'll see the lights of glory - and I'll know He lives.

Chorus:

Because He lives I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives.



2 comments:

Susie said...

Wow. (No exclamation point here either.) That was quite a day, even without the additional things that tug at a mother's (and grandma's) heart!

I'm so glad to hear that Joshua's MRI results were normal! And sorry to hear about Brennan's broken leg.

You are right that God has left no reason for discouragement but we know that the enemy works overtime to discourage us. I think we are most prone to discouragement -- at least I am -- when I am physically or mentally or emotionally tired and/or drained. It seems to me that the 'drain factor' in your life has been on overload lately. I am thankful, and I know you are as well, that even this new day, one that you are not eager to see come, is still filled this morning with His new mercies and great faithfulness. Life is really only worth the living because He lives! And He is our strength!

“Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation.” Isaiah 12:2

I'm praying for you today!
Susie

Mom said...

How appropriate the hymn!(Exclamation point!) Life happens, both its ups and its downs, one day at a time. Stay with today.