Thursday, January 19, 2012

The kiddos and I have been studying the life of Christ. As I have prepared to teach it, I have been often impressed with Him. I just began today to look more thoroughly at the calling of the fishermen. I was still carrying around my young child take in this story. I remember being taught and impressed by these guys who with blind faith left everything to follow this man they didn't know because of His commanding and compelling presence.
Studying this more carefully, I understand that these men had been following Jesus around for a while already - maybe close to a year. John's gospel gives us time markers which help to see that progression of things.
With the knowledge that Peter, Andrew, James, and John already knew Jesus well when He called them to be fishers of men, I am impressed with Jesus far more than with the men. Oh sure, it took remarkable faith and loyalty to leave *everything* and go away with Jesus. However, it the Son of Man,Jesus, who impacted them greatly enough to build in their hearts such great faith. They had been John's followers first (John 1:35-42.) Then when being "introduced" to Jesus by John with such confidence on John's part, they began to follow Jesus around, going with Him to the wedding at Cana - John 2:1-11 - then all the way to Jerusalem and back again to Galilee - John 1:12 - 2:46. By the time He called them to follow Him from their fishing expedition at the sea of Galilee, Jesus had displayed such remarkable wisdom, purity, and power that walking away from everything was easy.
Am I that impressed with Jesus? Do I find it easy to follow Him? (Matthew 11:28-30) This is really convicting to me. Jesus expressed frustration as seen in John that people had to have a sign to believe. They didn't find Him alone to be enough reason for belief. He walked on the earth as the Son of God pouring out the wonderful new covenant straight from the Father. What a privilege indeed to leave everything and follow the Son of the Most High God, Creator and Master of all! Oh that He would remind me of that all along the way!

1 comment:

Mom said...

The hardest thing to leave is self. I keep getting in the way.