Monday, May 5, 2008

My birthday

I have thought and thought about this post. I wish I could somehow just show you my thoughts and feelings surrounding my recent birthday. I am going to jot snippets here. Maybe that will create the picture of my mind.

I woke up that morning to Nancy vomiting just inside the bathroom door. (The bathroom is right outside our room, so it easily woke me.) Later Josiah vomited inside a different bathroom door, creating a hazmat area.

The doorbell rang at one point during the day. Nobody was there - just a box with "FLOWERS" on the side. It was for me. I opened it and cried at the sight of tulips before I knew who they were from. They were just an icon of home and the things I love - and miss - about the mid-west. Then I read the card. They were from my two adult daughters. I cried even more.















I slept on the couch that night because two sick children had fallen asleep in the living room. I had trouble falling asleep. I had a happy, satisfied yet mysteriously sad feeling. Tears came again.

The next day was errand day. When I got home I walked into my living room where I was assaulted by a Nerf dart. I looked and the perpetrator was my oldest son. He came 1800 miles for my birthday! Wow! What a feeling that was!! I was so touched, so glad to see him, so grateful, so proud, etc. I enjoyed him being here immensely. He made supper for us Saturday night, which was wonderful. He patiently worked at befriending Jason, who is rather terrified of unfamiliar people since his hospital stay. He preached a sermon the Sunday night he was here, bringing a similar feeling to the one the tulips brought. He's a good boy.




























I think this birthday was maybe the weirdest, but best ever=)

3 comments:

momawake said...

Sweet!

Mom said...

Hope the flu thing takes a hike soon. Moms' BDs are not always perfect, but your family tried to accomplish that in very special ways. They know how special you are.

Amy said...

What a wonderful BD present to have John W. come out! And what a not-so-wonderful BD present to have two kids vomiting...but hope it passes soon! The tulips were a sweet present/idea as well! ;-)