Sunday, November 16, 2008

Amelia Bedelia at Home


It's a mildly scary thought that I have an Amelia Bedelia clone living under my roof. Though I like the books - have read them to my children - it's not been my life long dream to raise one=) The troubling evidence follows.

I am walking through the grocery store with Nancy. I want her to learn to help and to spot a bargain. I ask her to get me some canned goods saying, "These (referring to and pointing at a middle shelf) are all gone. Please get me some from the bottom." I turn to something else.

Soon I hear, "Mom, I can't get 'em." I turn, baffled, to see what could possibly be the problem. Amelia (Nancy) Bedelia is trying to pull the cans from the bottom of the stack on the bottom shelf.

A few weeks later:

Nancy is laying letter and number flash cards out in their respective orders. She is doing the letters first. She finishes with no mistakes. Yeah! I tell her, "Do the numbers now." I begin helping Josiah with a reading lesson. I look up from the lesson to observe Nancy. She is running out of room. I tell her, "You aren't going to have enough room there. Why don't you put the numbers under the letters." I take my attention back to Josiah. Looking at Nancy's work again, I don't see the number cards though she seems to be working at something. "Nancy, where are the numbers?" I ask.

"They're under the letters like you said. See?" she suggests, lifting a letter card so I can see the number card underneath.

"You're Amelia Bedelia," I say with a chuckle. (And I'm afraid it's true!)

3 comments:

Mom said...

Oh the joys of communication! As you well know by now, it is impossible to perfect that art. Look at it this way, Nancy does understand the concepts of bottom and under - YEAH!

momawake said...

Oh my! I suppose life is never dull!

Amy said...

LOL! that got me laughing...