Monday, November 17, 2008

Every Good Thing Bestowed and Every Perfect Gift

In the keeping of a joy and sorrow ledger, we must mark our trials on the joy side. God said so - James 1:2ff. Somehow, in the last weeks I have let the joy of trials slip away . I have forgotten to look up and ahead. It is a lot like Peter walking on the water, then sinking with a sudden fear and an abandonment of faith. Looking to Jesus is what keeps our minds off the water. Even when it's storm tossed water. I have had an Experience which has helped me to see in the Mirror that I have been looking down at the water.

I just couldn't believe it last Monday when I saw the tremendous amount of blood running from somewhere about Josiah down John's shirt. I knew better than to go get a band aid. I knew that we were having another go at some tragedy, although minor as these things go. I really didn't want to do it. Yet, I'm a mom through and through. Though my heart sank, more because of dread than sympathy, I jumped into action.

In the days that followed I just felt drained every time I looked at his bruised and lacerated cheek. You see what I mean, don't you? My eyes weren't in the Right Place. Friday came and brought with its lot of to do's, the news that something was amiss other than just the laceration and bruising. I worried and fretted and stewed. Guilt was my shadow.

Then, wow! What amazing blessings have come my way since my melancholy Saturday. A woman whose brother suffered a much more serious, but similarly located injury was at my house for a Bible study Saturday morning. After hearing about Josiah she shared with her brother. I have tried to engage this man in conversation before. At least to my very short sighted vision, he appeared quiet, indifferent and uninvolved. However, Sunday at church he sought me out. He wanted to encourage me. He assured me that Josiah would be just fine and described his own injuries. I was so touched and in awe of God. Just to think of the impact that Josiah's injury had! I would never have dreamed of such a result.

Today brought more blessing. Josiah was, this morning, supposed to see a much disliked doctor in our regular pediatrician's office for removal of the stitches. I have said out loud that I will never take another child to see said doctor, but it was all they had in the necessary window of time. Friday's bad news set me to the task of calling the ENT to assess Josiah. He was able to see him today and willing to take the stitches out. We didn't have to see Dr. Mean to My Kids. And you know what else? The doctor thinks Josiah is fine. He wants to see his xray to be more certain, but his examination and questions produced no concern today.

I am humbled. I didn't really deserve to see such blessing through this trial. I had marked it to the wrong side of the ledger. And that was an affront to God because "[e]very good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." James 1:17

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray! What blessings God is showering upon you in rough water. Thanks for the update on Josiah. on another note - Lane came home for good. He withdrew Oct. 31. I'll share "timing" with you at some point. God is good alllllll the time.

Mom said...

If only at the beginning of a trial we could remember God's faithfulness in the last trial! To me, Jesus in the garden is great comfort. It is OK to be afraid during a difficult time, and to turn to God with our fear. He soooo understands!

Judy in TX said...

So glad for all the blessings to come out of this. And, you know, none of us "deserve" any of the blessings. God is so merciful and gracious. YES--"If only at the beginning of a trial we could remember God's faithfulness in the last trial!" (Of course, I occasionally think as I read your blog--you are rarely all the way through ONE trial when another starts! How my heart aches for you at those times. Your courage and faith and motherliness touch me deeply.)

momawake said...

I keep praying. Thanks for sharing.