Monday, December 26, 2011

Sorry about the partial post. I hit a wrong button.
Anyway, he peddled along the interstate on the way to the small town where he preached sometimes. A tired driver fell asleep at the wheel and struck the young man from behind killing him instantly with wounds so bad that he was difficult to identify. At his funeral his powerful, sophisticated father spoke of him before a photo presentation of his son's life. He insisted that a picture of him with his long, beautiful hair be prominent. He spoke emotionally of his son's reason for having the long hair and relented from his passionate disapproval of it. His pride overflowed as the death of his son ripped away the prejudice from his eyes to see that his son had "become all things to all people so that by all means [he] might win some."
To connect this story with my recent thoughts I need to tell you about the sermon preached yesterday morning. Our son, in his near shoulder length dreds and his ghetto style clothes, presented a message of truth and inherent profundity. I know there are several (most?) members of the church who find our son's "look" repugnant. I wondered yesterday, though, if that "look" opened the hearts of those few people who were there only because of the holiday and their family loyalty. Had he become to these few the very heart softening ingredient they needed to accept the truth?
This son has wanted to be a counselor at a young men's leadership camp. He has been refused because of his hair and other unconventional stuff. He is perceived as a bad influence. I know I am his mom and have that emotional cloud around my thinking, but this refusal has frustrated me. I have wondered if he might be *just* the person to reach the one who would not otherwise be reached.
So what do you think about my questions regarding stereotypes? I have conflicting thoughts most of the time. I know that I have difficulty divorcing myself from the emotional thoughts that come when I try to think through the topic. Share your thoughts if you have some.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Everyone needs the saving grace that Jesus has provided, so it is not accurate to claim that some are more needy than others. But there is a wide range of people I could describe as "less fortunate" who get missed in the efforts to claim the world for Christ. I admire anyone who is willing to emulate Jesus by doing the hard thing out of love, and ignoring the fear or discomfort that can be felt by having compassion for those who are not like you. I can relate to that father. Each of us has our own calling that we must not ignore, as Paul said to Timothy, "Stir up the gift that is within you." Who am I to question God's call?