Monday, August 4, 2008

Hair Cutting Story

This story may have been left untold, but someone has requested it three times! (You know who you are=) It's not a beautiful story. It's a "what if" story, and "what ifs" are so grating.

Our neighbor's 13 year old son had longish hair. It begged to be cut, you know? I had offered a couple of times to cut it if he ever wanted me to. One night, he and his 16 year old sister were over. I don't remember how the haircut idea came up, but I offered again to cut it. Well, he got brave enough (with some serious prodding from his sister) to give in. Sister assured me that Dad doesn't like it in his eyes and hounds Mom about it, thus Mom would be thrilled to get Dad off her back. I cut his hair. Not too short. He didn't want drastic (though I would have loved to cut it much shorter.)

After I got done they went to show their mom. She was NOT happy. It started a big deal in their household, for which I felt awful! John urged me to go apologize and offered to go with me. We went, and I gave my very sincere, teary apology. She accepted but said that they had been wanting to see how long it would get and now they wouldn't get to see. She was also worried that her husband would be mad at her for letting it happen - and she'd had no say in the matter. Also, she didn't like the cut - too poofy on the sides. (My thought exactly, but he didn't want it shorter.)

A little later he came back over sporting a "buzz," given by his mother. It looked great - just what I would've chosen for him. He looked so much older, cleaner, just better. But that didn't really matter. I cut someone else's child's hair without seeking their approval. That was a huge lack of judgment!! I would have been unhappy too - even if I liked the result. To be overridden as a parent is not cool!

So, to my Requester, that is the story. Maybe you can post the moral of the story=)

2 comments:

Mom said...

As you know you have a son I have been sorely tempted to "shear" while he was sleeping, or at least give him some short bangs. So... "but for the grace of God" I could be in your shoes. It is interesting to ponder how we can get ourselves into situations we look back on and wonder, "Did I really do such a thing?" Thanks for reminding us that we are weak and in need of God's forgiveness.

momawake said...

I was just about to email you and call you to get that story. Seriously! ;) Thanks for posting.

As for posting the moral of the story...I might, as soon as I think of a clever one. lol!

Have I just given myself away??