Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thinking

The alarm will go off in five hours, but I wanted to share just a bit of my thoughts tonight. I watched the movie, "Guardian" while going through and correcting the kids' schoolwork tonight. I had expected to like it - had wanted to see it. I did like it. I'm so tired, so won't be much good at putting into words all my perceptions. I just want to share one. It is my goal to be tough and to raise tough kids. I am frustrated by my weaknesses. Oh it is not for myself that I am frustrated, but it is for others. You see, we are only as helpful to others as our strength will allow. (Yes, yes God can and does work in us, in spite of us. His strength is perfected in our weakness. But we can achieve far more if we are girded for the task. Our vessel is up to us.) Could I be strong enough to "save" somebody? In any way - not just physically. Am I stout in body, mind and soul? If not, then I might lose somebody that I might have otherwise saved. That's just not acceptable.

Apparently, there is a line in one of the Star Wars movies that goes, in part, like this: "...There is no try." The point is that success only occurs when our state of mind is resolved, toughened to accept and be victorious in any challenge. We cannot settle for trying; we must determine to reach our goals and muster the grit to do so. Period.

The movie certainly portrayed that well. I'm glad I watched it. It was inspiring at a time when my goals seem so necessary but so lofty. Not lost, though, is the need for help. God is my help, and He has helped me much, but the valley of the shadow of death must still be traversed. His help does not remove the task or trial before me, it only calls me to press on with calm and peaceful assurance.

1 comment:

Mom said...

One reservation I have about pushing ourselves to the edge of our physical endurance is that it can trigger either an autoimmune response or something like shingles or mononucleosis. I do think that most of us never use the gammut of our God given potential. It has been amazing to see the feats during an Olympics, but often injuries occur in that effort too. Just think how God could use us if we were willing to "give it our all" in service to Him!