Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Week

John is going to Canada tomorrow for a couple of days. Nancy was so sad tonight and asked me if I was too. I told her I wasn't sad but would miss him. He has functioned in high gear with very little sleep on weekdays since starting his 2nd job. I'm hoping this business trip will be a little vacation of sorts. Maybe he'll get to sleep eight hours at night.

Right now we don't have any medical appointments this week. That is rare and has been for over a year now. Weeks without even one appointment just don't come very often. The last time we potentially had one, something happened and we didn't after all. I'm hoping that we can actually accomplish it this week. (I will be calling tomorrow to schedule Joseph and Jared's extractions. If they have openings this week, I'm likely going to protect our little break and put it off another week or two.)

We moved Jason out of our room and into Nancy's on Saturday. His nap schedule wasn't meshing with John's. Since sleep has been scarce for John during the week I wanted to remedy that glitch. The first two nights went well, but nap time today did not. Hopefully this week will take us through the transition and on to smooth sailing.

A couple of times now there has been a sign affixed to a light post down the street. It reads, "grag sale." It makes me laugh because I really, really wonder if it has been generated by a non-English speaking person who simply spelled what they heard us English speaking people say for "garage."

That makes me think of a thought I had earlier. I have some pet peeves that bother me. (No that wasn't redundant. It bothers me that they are pet peeves of mine, but they do so grate on me.) "Probably" isn't "prob'ly" and especially not "prolly." "Supposedly" isn't "supposably" or "sposably" either. There is no such word, "nother," as in "That's a whole nother matter completely." It is "other." "Good" modifies nouns only and "well" verbs. (Though I do have to admit that I frequently answer "How are you?" with "Good." It grates on my nerves then too.) Female dogs lose their reproducibility when they are "spayed" not "spaded." And "pneumonia" is the respiratory illness, while "ammonia" is the cleaner. Perhaps these things shouldn't bother me so much. It doesn't really matter, I guess. (You know, I think my mom is to blame. She's picky about correct pronunciation too. So, Mom, you're guilty of hindering my ability to forgive such foibles=) Oh, and I know that I probably bug others too at times with inconsequential faux pas. I guess we just need to laugh (but not at each other;-)

I hope your week is grand!

5 comments:

The Boring One said...

Lol! You are so funny. So is that where I got the same pet peeve... Hmmm. When you are having a spring bazaar, you really ought not to advertise it as a spring bizarre...

Leslie said...

Funny. My english ain't the greatest, but now I'm going for english degrees in writing and literature so maybe it'll approve. My accent, I've been told, is affecting the younger kids in class to the point I'm being copied on the longer vows sounds. lol.

Mom said...

I am guilty as accused, but I just don't verbalize it much any more. Funny thing - I think I got it from my mother too!

Mom to Anyone said...

Wow, Mom, that's interesting. If your mom began all this intolerance, that would be a serious thing indeed. Of course, her motive would have been self improvement (and sadly a divorcement of her West Virginia/hillbilly roots) While it's tragically too bad that she was so ashamed of her heritage, I still (and will always) admire her for the fortitude that caused her to work so hard at anything she set her mind to. Great example!

momawake said...

You know...I am quite sure I say all those pet peeve things myself. Early in our marriage prob'ly became broccoli.

I also know all those things run in our family, but I was going to blame it on dad. ;-)