Sunday, November 4, 2007

Life in the Desert


Did you know that the saguaro cactus only grows in the Sonoran Desert? Neither did I. In fact, I didn't even know what the saguaro cactus was until I moved to the Sonoran Desert. It is the cactus that you see in westerns that would look like a man if you put a hat and face on it. It grows here because the Sonoran Desert gets more rain than any other desert in the world. Interestingly, though, it's root system is not much to talk about. The tap root only descends three feet below ground, and it's peripheral roots are only about one foot long. It is perfectly suited to its exclusive home.

It struck me when we moved here that there are still plants growing in the desert. And not just palm trees and cacti. One of the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen I met here. It is a big loose flower in a beautiful blushed shade of fuschia. In or on it (I haven't yet discerned) is a little cluster of tiny delicate white blooms. Gorgeous. With irrigation quite a few crops are grown here though they are not native to the area. One unexpected and comforting thing we saw soon after moving was a corn field! Just like home! Roses are a big item here also. Have you ever seen an agricultural field of roses? Just this morning we saw a cotton field. And just as sentimental as the corn field is a field of milo! One wonderful lady from church even brought me homegrown tomatoes that rivaled my Dad's. (Dad, you will always be the best tomato grower ever, but these were up there, if you know what I mean.) I only thought that desert equaled barren.

You all likely know that this cold and snow loving mama didn't want to move to the intensely hot desert. Life has seemed so lopsided lately. It has not been barren of happy things, but the heartaches and difficulties have been plentiful. Moving was a heartache unlike any I've ever experienced because I walked away from three of my children. It was an act of my will, not of my heart. Already, though, I am grateful for several things. (Isn't God wonderful that way? He always blesses our even mediocre efforts to do His will.) One object of my gratitude is the desert itself and its lessons for me. I thought it would be barren. It's not lush like southern Indiana and Illinois, but it is not barren. Even in the hot, moisture deprived climate some growing things thrive. While I may not have in my possession all that I think would make my life lush with happiness, I am not empty handed. The blessings of God are still overflowing, and there is life in the desert.

1 comment:

Mom said...

There are many lessons awaiting you and I am excited to know how God is going to make your stay in "the desert" incredibly worthwhile. As I told you some time ago, I need to stop complaining because most of the things I have complained about have turned out to be true blessings. You are so good at finding the positive in even the most difficult of times. We are praying that the next days/weeks will be much easier than anticipated and that Jason and all of you will be blessed by his great God-provided personality even when the going is rough.