Friday, October 3, 2008

How it All Comes Together

Life comes together because God is good and trustworthy. Period.

The last two weeks have been a mix of victory and hopelessness, of frustration and peaceful satisfaction. They have brought good news and bad, distracting sadness and happy relief. Some days I wanted to quit and leave the planet and others brought resolute, purposeful strides. I have laughed out loud. I have cried. I have hoped in hurting and consuming desperation that things were different. I have been so proud of my children I that I wanted to group hug 'em to death. I have found surprises and the expected, seen gory and beautiful.

Now, I know what happens next. Everyone is trying to figure out what events are tied to all these things. Don't. I daresay, there are few who would even have a chance of accurately assigning events and things to my descriptions - even here in my own house. Sometimes it just is good to know that people you love know where you are in your life.

Well, we didn't make it through last week without any medical appointments. Jacob (now listen carefully - this really happened) got his index finger caught in his bicycle sprocket while riding on Wednesday afternoon! One of the pokey things punctured the finger and then ripped through the top of the finger. Yes, it was as gross as it sounds. Truthfully, I wasn't terribly worried about it until it swelled a lot 24 hours later. That made me wonder about the bone. Friday we went to the doctor and to radiology for and x-ray. It was fine. In fact, this morning it looked very good.

Jared had the two upper canine (dog!) teeth removed on Monday. He did fine and is back to normal.

Jason saw the doctor today for his 15 month check up. His weight was still below the 1 percentile. His height had inched up to the 1st percentile. And guess what!? The pediatrician was unconcerned because he's still growing, albeit slowly, and has a nice (little) curve going on. I was prepared to have to defend our reasons for not wanting to investigate his slight stature further, and was very relieved not to. His lungs were not good. He diagnosed him with RAD (reactive airway disease) We started breathing treatments at home today, which didn't go over so well with him. I set my goal to have him well for surgery on the 16th.

The children decided to get their schoolwork done in four days this week. They succeeded, and so we are having an unexpected day off Friday, in conjunction with John's 1/2 day off from Safeway.

The pictures are just because. I let Jason go out back with Nancy one day when I was going to be right by the door. The yard is mostly dirt, which, if you look closely, is covering and infiltrating Jason's diaper. The haircutting cape picture was taken one day when I was giving haircuts. One of the boys got down from the stool, and Jason came running for his turn. I put him up there and got him ready like the others. I pretended to cut his (still short) hair, satisfying his desire to fit in.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Treasure that moment that Jason is absolutely thrilled to get a haircut. You may have to remind him when he becomes a teenager. Thanks for the rundown.