Monday, October 15, 2007

More about James

The repeated lab was normal today! I am so grateful. We can cross one thing off the list!

James is going to see the doctor again on Thursday. He is going to listen to him again and we will do a chest x-ray. There is so much on my mind with this. There has to be a better way. (I always felt that way with Elizabeth who also struggles with extreme symptoms of allergies. We tried so many things without success. She is still miserable with overwhelming congestion at certain times of the year.) I really think allergy shots would help James. We did allergy testing in Indiana and James did take sub lingual drops (instead of shots), but over time he quit taking them no matter how much I hounded him. I suppose that we could do testing here and try again, but if he's not motivated it will be wasted effort.

His back is the biggest concern I have for him right now. I wish the appointment with the orthopedic surgeon wasn't so far off. (I suppose two weeks isn't that far away. It just seems that way right now.) If the pediatrician is right in suggesting possible Scheuermann's there is a difficult road ahead. And there will be difficult decisions to be made. There is so much controversy about this disease. Absolutely do chiropractics some say, avoid them others adamantly insist. Many have extensive surgery. That is scary because the risk of paralysis after surgery for Scheuermann's is greater than back surgery for other things. My heart is heavy for him.

It does appear that the norm is life long pain no matter which road you travel with Scheuermann's. I have read more than one story about people dependent on pain meds in order to function. James said tonight that he doesn't care what kind of treatment happens as long as it will relieve the pain. If it is Scheuermann's that is not likely to ever happen. And how do you tell a vibrant almost 16 year old that?

Maybe all this fretting is for nothing. Maybe he just has scoliosis, not Scheuermann's kyphosis. If so, I will be so grateful. If not, then we will learn even more about the sovereignty of God and just how important it is not to get so wrapped up in this world and our life in it. Always there will be good because that is the nature of God.

2 comments:

Mom said...

As I indicated to John W. when he broke his neck and endured both pain and limited activity, such experiences are always for the benefit of others when we see how we can use them to bring God's blessing through us to help another through a tough time. That ultimately will bring God the glory and praise for His mercies are new EVERY morning.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying, Aunt Karen!