Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rambling

It's been a while since I have posted anything new so I thought I'd just think out loud a bit.


Jason's surgery is less than two weeks away! That is if he stays well. We have been passing a bug, which I think he already had. If so, it was mild for him. Well, sort of. He did not get super sick, but he still has a bit of a runny nose (and yes, absolutely, it is quite interesting with a cleft through the nasal floor.) Tonight he was fussy and rubbing, rubbing at his right ear. That makes me so nervous. I need to remember to call and make an appointment with the ENT. If we can get him in before surgery we will know if we possibly need to add tubes to his surgery.

James and Joshua (and John) played ping pong tonight. James actually had a tournament game which he handily won 4 games to 0. All three of them got to play with the best players on the ladder. They had a good time playing doubles and observing a whole new way to play. The number one guy is very, very good and plays with a different style than James or Joshua has ever tried to defend. They found it rather an uphill battle. But it was a good experience.

The fires in California have really captured my attention. I guess since it's much closer to home than a wildfire has ever been it just seems more real. Our landlord actually lives in San Diego county. I heard from her tonight and she is okay as is her house. But they are dealing with a lot of smoke, soot and ash. It is hard to imagine the almost 800 square miles that have been devastated. That is a huge area. I hope it will soon be over.

A frustrating thing happened to Jacob this week. He was riding his beloved pocket bike when one of the (rough and mean) neighbor boys stepped in his path to tell him that he better quit riding it on his (the boy's) part of the street because it's annoying. He told him that if he didn't stop he would beat him up. Supposedly, he has already beat up another neighbor's son, which Jacob knew prior to his encounter this week. As a result, Jacob is scared to death. He won't ride his bike at all now, and runs to hide when the boy or his brother are around. I am just so "mom sad." John assured Jacob that he would always be outside while he is riding, but still he will not ride. I don't know what we'll do. John may go talk to the boy's father. He may take him somewhere else to ride. Or both. I just want my good as gold boy to be left to his joy.

Twenty-four days from tomorrow Michael, Elizabeth and Haelley plan to be here. I am not waiting patiently, but with jitters and longing.

Joseph has been sicker than anyone else. He has had a really bad cough. He still, on this third day since getting sick, looks pale and ashen. If he is not better next week, I guess we'll be taking him to the doctor (who should soon just move in with us as familiar as he's becoming with us.)

We are having a singing at our house tomorrow night. I am very excited. It sounds like we'll have a good sized group. I will have to take pictures to put here for you all to see.

Well, that's enough, I suppose. Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am just so excited when I get to hear updates about your life!! Living over 2,000 miles away...it's hard to keep up with each other...:-(

Hm, that must've been an interesting expierence, having a child with a cleft lip and a runny nose put together.

I feel sorry for Jacob...I hope that everything can be resolved and put back together!

Mom said...

It is good to hear more news. It is good that James can be so good at pingpong. Is he still in pain? I wish I could see he and Joshua team up. That has got to be a sight!

I am wondering if the boy who threatened Jacob is any of the boys who came to the house when I was there. I hope that John can be successful in defusing the situation. Kids like that need something/someone to do/be so that they don't need to be bullies in order to have power. I would be concerned about the possibility of gang related activity also. There is a very violent gang that comes from El Salvadore called MS13. They must be beaten up for 13 seconds to be initiated into the gang. They are mostly Mexican. There are thousands of them here and a first arrest crackdown rounded up 60+. We are a hub as I understand it.

Hope Joseph is doing better. It seems so unfair to live in Phoenix and be having so many respitory problems!